The Hiller Model 360 UH-12 is a three place light utility helicopter first flown in 1948, and one of the first helicopters to be produced in large numbers. It has been used extensively around the world both in military training and observation roles and also in civilian applications. The type has seen use in New Zealand for agricultural work, deer recovery and general utility flying.
UH-12E ZK-HIK (constructor’s number 2063) began its service life operating for Canada’s Klondike Helicopters under the registration CF-MLL. In this role it was used on the geological surveys of the Yukon known as Operations Ogilvie and Porcupine in 1961-2. It was later shipped to New Zealand and registered as ZK-HEQ, later re-registered as ZK-HIK.
Wayne Van Der Laan of Te Awamutu established Helicopter Management Ltd in the late 1970s with HIK. The aircraft operated until it was retired in the early 1990s after which time it was stored until being donated to the Society in unrestored, “kit-set” form in the late 2000s. The helicopter is under restoration in the Society’s workshop with the assistance and technical advice of local engineer Gary Minnell of Helicopter Solutions.
This helicopter is being restored to represent the Agricultural side of NZ aviation, with the eventual addition of spray gear.
Notable donors and supporters of this project are:
- Wayne Van Der Laan, Helicopter Management Te Awamutu
- Gary Minnell, Helicopter Solutions
- Mark Latham, Rotor Brokers
- Nigel Hope, BTR Ltd
- Ian Gardiner & Nick Parker, Tait Electronics.
Restoration of ZK-HIK in the Aeronautical Society workshops is ongoing. Any donations of money or parts to help complete this project would be gratefully received. Please contact the Society via the contact page if you can help.